Thursday 21 July 2016

Project Stashbust, volume whatever

Update on the whole moving thing: we have found and put down a deposit on a one-bedroom flat which seems disturbingly perfect (it's exactly where we want to be, there's loads of space, and there's a TROPICAL GARDEN). The only issue is that we can't move in til the end of August, so I and all my stuff will need to decamp to Patrick's place for a few weeks. He doesn't have a lot of room and it's not going to be very easy for me to sew anything there, so I'm not yet sure about my two post-move projects. Life might interfere and they might not get done.

In the meantime, however, I still have more than a dozen pieces of fabric that need to be used or tossed before moving (this is now extra important as I will have to lug everything up several flights of stairs to Patrick's place). Not everything is going to get used, and I've accepted that. However, I have the following tentative plans:

A midi length Anna dress - I have a piece of beautifully soft champagne-coloured fabric (I'm not entirely sure what it is) from my friend Micky that I think will work well as an Anna. My main concern with this one is that I have no clue whatsoever how to accessorise a beige dress. What goes with beige? I have literally never had to consider this before in my life.

A pair of Chataigne shorts - my first pair turned out well so I'm going to try a second pair from the remnant I had left over from my Christmas Elisalex dress. I'm slowly building up a collection of patterns that take a metre or less of fabric, and one day awkwardly-sized remnants sitting at the back of the cupboard will be a distant memory.

A 1920s top - if I have enough of the green stuff I used to make the original bodice block T-shirt, I want to try the Sew Over It Vintage tie top. It'll either work really well or not at all, but I am all about the 1920s at the moment despite my completely inappropriate body shape. Experiment time!

A modified Kenedy dress - this is one of the Seamwork patterns I bought in a rush and I'd like to see if I can make it work as a no-fuss, hot day, pull-over-head-and-look-presentable dress. I will, however, be downsizing the shit out of it since it has 14 inches of ease at the waist and I've got no use for that whatsoever. I'm actually considering making the smallest size they have and just adding to the bust a bit. I have a remnant of navy poly I'm going to use for this.

A Selene skirt - this is the one I'm least sure about. I have some petrol blue suiting (again from Micky) that is crying out to be a work skirt and I really don't want it to be yet another tulip, but I worry that this one just doesn't have quite enough shape. I like the pockets, though.

Speaking of tulip skirts, here's the first bit of stashbusting I did:


It's a cropped sweater and a tulip skirt. Surprise.

The top fabric was left over from my Wren dress. I'm glad I managed to get a top out of it because I love this jersey so much, but it was a real squish and as a result one of the sleeves is ever so slightly too small and pulls the neckline out a bit. It's annoying but not debilitating. The skirt was a remnant from my Butterlex. Construction was the same as usual, except I actually managed to overlock all the seams on the skirt this time. I FINALLY worked out how to thread the thing! Points to me! Next step: work out why the blade isn't behaving itself.


And contrast pockets, forever more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment