Monday 3 September 2018

sewing plans: autumn 2018

Hey, I'm not dead! I had no intention of taking all of August off, but... then I did. I decided to make my experimental leather jacket my next project, and it took me aaaages. Partly because I've been ill (turns out I've developed asthma at 33, YAY), partly because it was a ton of new techniques and a new material, and partly because it was a royal pain in the ass and by halfway through I was really struggling to motivate myself. The end product is frankly decidedly mediocre, but I should be ready to share my many thoughts next week when I've done a bit of finishing on the sleeves. For now, let's skip ahead to my autumn plans.

Outerwear

A white leather jacket

There's a decent chance this is a fool's errand, given that it's taken me most of August to get halfway through the practice version, but the point of that was always to make this. I have two metres of a very soft white faux leather printed with embroidery-style designs which would make the most amazing statement jacket, and it's what I'd like to be the main focus of my autumn sewing. Hopefully finishing the first version doesn't make me gun shy. If it does:

A knee-length autumn-weight coat

One way or another I want to make a piece of outerwear this autumn, and this is the other one on my list. There's a small chance I'll make both, but I'm not betting on it. If this is what I end up making I'll use V1365, a Donna Karan pattern from 2013 that Patrick found me on eBay, ideally in a bright colour. I don't own any bright coats or jackets and I want a statement piece.

Daywear

A sweater knit wrap dress

I have a bunch of Named Olivia dresses, but the only one I wear frequently is the original orange version. I've wondered several times why that is, and I've come to the conclusion that it's the shorter length and, crucially, the slightly thicker fabric. I want a couple more that work as everyday dresses, so I've bought some blue sweater knit that should make an awesome snuggly autumn wrap.

A pair of trousers

My inability to make trousers that work for me is super frustrating, so this is one of my top priorities for this season and I'm prepared to have to try several patterns. I only have one pair that I wear regularly, the Megan Nielsen Flint trousers, and it's got to the point that one pair just isn't enough. I've considered just making another pair of the same, but I would really prefer a zip closure to the half-open pocket. The next pattern I have to try is McCalls 7726, in what the fabric label claims to be a denim-linen mix. I also really like the Camille trousers from the new Sew Over It ebook, but I don't know if I can bring myself to shell out £25 for five patterns when I only want the one. Once I've found a pair that fit decently well, I'm finally going to have the pair of yellow trousers I've tried and failed to make four times now. Yeesh.

A black top

Last summer I tried making Simplicity 1613. I barely ever wore it because the fabric was crap and it didn't go with anything, but I really like that twist detail. I'm going to try again, with some black sweater knit, and I'm going to put sleeves on it. The sleeve that came with the pattern has got lost in the midsts of time somewhere, so I'm going to try and engineer it to have the Deer & Doe Givre armscye and sleeve.

Loungewear

A dressing gown

One of the few RTW items I still wear regularly is Patrick's old dressing gown, a slightly ratty fleece thing that I keep trying to replace but have only just realised I've been doing it wrong. I do still want to increase my swanky loungewear wardrobe, but fancy crepe kimonos really aren't the thing for when you're cold and damp just out of the bath. To remedy this I'm going to make McCalls M7516, lengthened and with big pockets, in some kind of fleece or towelling. I've seen some red and white stripy stuff that I either really love or really hate, and I haven't decided which yet.

A presentable loungewear outfit

So I haven't quite fleshed this idea out yet, but what I'm looking for is something comfortable enough for me to wear around the house as a matter of course, but fancy enough that I don't have to change out of it when people come over. I know I want three pieces (trousers, a top and a layer) and I need to work out what form that takes. I'm currently having an argument with myself over recreating a Miss Fisher outift with swishy trousers, a butter yellow cami top and a black capelet lined with the same butter yellow fabric, which would be amazing but also even I'm not ridiculous enough to make a capelet strictly for indoor wear. I think the shape of the trousers and length of the layering piece are going to be crucial here, so I might have to *gulp* sketch things. (I am terrible at drawing. Even with a croquis book most things still come out looking like drunk ghosts.)

I'm going to keep it to this for now. It's slightly fewer things than I usually plan but with the stupid jacket in there I think that's probably wise. Also I don't want to plan too many things I don't have the fabric for. Hopefully it all goes smoothly enough and I can make another couple of things as and when I get inspired.


2 comments:

  1. Before reading your commentary on the loungewear, I immediately pictured some very floaty pants with a cami style top or tee and kimono style robe. Very glamorous lounging!!! :)

    I got some faux white leather in a Fabric Mart bundle and am thinking I should totally make a jacket even if I think it'll be a little crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A white leather jacket sounds amazingly cool!

    The loungewear thing I wear the most is a kimono style jacket made from boiled wool. Very cosy but definitely suitable for wearing in front of visitors! I do like the idea of the capelet though.

    ReplyDelete