Monday 11 March 2019

spring sewing: the wrap skirt wardrobe malfunction test

The idea of making a wrap skirt has been rattling around in the back of my head for a while. In the summer I wear maxi length almost exclusively and you all know I love a wrap anything, so it seemed like a no-brainer, especially when I realised I was sitting on four pieces of fabric that all wanted to be wrap skirts. But I kept putting it off, because I wanted to find an actually interesting pattern. I know I could cut some rectangles, add some ties to the end and be done, but that's not what I wanted. I wanted something with a bit of actual design to it, and nobody seemed to be making those. 


This is McCalls 7606, and I'm not sure it's the one. 

This pattern is for an off-the-shoulder or cold-shoulder bodysuit (which I may make if I'm bored one day) and this shaped wrap skirt, with or without hem ruffles. I wasn't sure this was what I wanted but it was literally the only one I could find with any interest to it whatsoever. Everything else looked like it came from a WikiHow article using only two measurements and a ruler, which I'm not saying is a bad look but I am saying I wouldn't pay eight quid for. 


The fabric is a viscose from Fabric Land, a gift from my mother. I love the colours (I think I actually look better in red and purple but I'd much rather wear peacock shades) but I didn't spend enough time with the fabric before I decided it had to be a wrap skirt. When I came to cut it out, I realised that a) the print went vertically and not horizontally as I'd originally thought and b) it was super narrow so I couldn't just cut the whole thing on the cross-grain. As a result it doesn't look quite like I'd envisioned it and it definitely suffers from that. I wanted a fairly sleek skirt but I'm now wondering if I should have added the ruffles anyway just to make it a bit more interesting. 



The most important thing, obviously, was the obligatory Wardrobe Malfunction Test. So I broke out my favourite pair of chub rub shorts, which I got in Sainsbury's about ten years ago and have never been able to replace. They're falling apart now, so I really need to start working on making some myself, but they won't be as perfect as these ones GAAAAHHH. Anyway, I put them on and went for the briefest walk I could possibly plan, bearing in mind what happened last time I did one of these tests. 

And... yes, malfunctions occurred. I think it's a combination of how light and easily disturbed this fabric is, the small amount of overlap at the waist and the curve at the front. Any two out of the three and it might have been alright, but as it was things definitely got precarious every time there was a slight breeze. If I were going to remake this skirt I'd definitely go up a few sizes to get more overlap at the front; due to the way the curve is cut I wouldn't even lose that much leg, I don't think. 


(This top is the black Nettie bodysuit I'd originally intended to make for my winter plans. It is one of the best and most useful things I have ever made and I have worn it to goddamn death this last two months. Not having to worry about tops riding up makes getting dressed so much easier and it's enabled me to get wear out of clothes that had just been sitting sadly in my wardrobe for months. I love it. I'm seriously considering buying more fabric and making two more identical ones so that wearing it as often as I do is a bit less gross.)


I will probably not be wearing this skirt, which is a shame. For an easy summer skirt I'm not that bothered about it not looking quite how I'd imagined (the colours carry it sufficently, I think), but the potential for malfunction is too great. I'd just never be able to relax. Maybe if we end up going on a beach or beach-adjacent holiday this year I'll take it with me as a swimsuit cover-up, and it'll probably be useful around the house if we get another super-hot summer. What I definitely will not be doing is making the three further versions I'd intended on if this one worked. I have three fabrics currently in my stash that have decided they want to be wrap skirts, and I don't know what I'm going to do with them now. Someone must have an interesting take on a wrap skirt, surely?


Up next: probably a Walthamstow fabric post. I've had a run of failures lately and it's been super demotivating (and unhelpfully timed). I will eventually get round to taking photos and posting about them, but I'm not in that place yet. Fabric talk and crowd sourcing ideas it is!

6 comments:

  1. Thoughts: Don't give up on this pattern. Just because it didn't work the first time doesn't mean you can't make the adjustments you mention so it will work on successive makes. Hardly anyone ever makes a pattern out of the envelope with no adjustments and calls it good. I think maybe you're putting too much pressure on yourself. :-)

    Also, can you add some "safety" to this one by adding a snap (popper?), or button/buttonhole, hidden interior tie, or something to reduce the malfunction risk? Wraps definitely need more underlap to avoid the flyaway and reveal syndrome.

    The fabric is very pretty so hopefully you can somehow rescue the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think I was clear! The reason I won't be making this pattern is that it's not interesting enough, not that I'm worried it won't fit! Now I know that the shaped hem isn't enough to give me what I want, I'm after something with multiple layers or a cool waistband or... something a bit more unique-looking, anyway.

      There's not really any way to secure this one without actively stitching the wrap together and making it not a wrap skirt anymore; the underlap is very secure, it's just that when there's breeze both edges ripple upwards like a pair of theatre curtains. I might need to go back and put some of this stuff in the actual post!

      Delete
  2. I’ve been looking for an interesting wrap skirt too. I’m going to try this hot patterns skirt: http://www.hotpatterns.com/hp-1220-fast-fabulous-faux-wrap-skirt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really nice skirt! I'm after a true wrap not a faux wrap, but I hope it works for you!

      Delete
  3. hm, I was trying to think of what you could do with a wrap skirt, design-wise, but couldn't think of anything. Is there any particular look you have in mind? Sometimes I like to start with images of RTW or runways, and then work backwards to look for a pattern match. Or steal the bottom half of a wrap dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have anything in particular in mind, no. I just wanted a wrap skirt and hoped someone had come up with an interesting take on it - multiple layers, statement waistband, or something. I vaguely remember having a skirt years ago with a short and a long layer and a different way of fastening, but I don't remember it well enough to recreate it!

      Delete