Thursday 14 December 2017

2017 reviews: my favourites

So it's December, the tree is up (and covered in gin baubles), homemade advent calendars are underway (and largely filled with booze), we've been for our annual Muppet Christmas Carol singalong (accompanied with booze), and I am working my way through a shit-ton of homemade Christmas presents (and no booze, because that's a bad idea). Since I can't really post any of that yet, it's end-of-year review posts ahoy! I'm going to follow the same format as last year, because that seemed to work. First up, my favourites! 

Named Olivia dress


Pattern of the year, to the surprise of literally nobody. This is my perfect wrap dress. High wrap so I don't have constant Excess Cleavage Paranoia, tulip shape to the skirt to give my hips some space, pockets, and zero wardrobe malfunctions in nearly a full year. This first one is still my favourite, but I've made five other versions this year and they're all fabulous. Favourite pattern.

Named Kielo dress


...but this is also kind of my favourite. I was so sceptical about this dress, right up until I first saw myself in the mirror and went "...oh." I made two of these for me (and one as a present) and they were the centrepiece for my whole summer wardrobe. The dress is simple and interesting, chic and comfortable, and manages to disguise my least favourite body parts while looking like an effortless drapey goddess dress. This pattern is absolutely worth the hype it gets. 

Deer & Doe Lupin jacket


I wore the shit out of this. I think I wore it nearly every day until mid-November, when I finally had to admit it was too cold. It looks great with almost everything and the pattern is still absolutely fantastic. I've never owned a denim jacket before in my life, but making it up a less traditional style made all the difference for me. 

Vogue 9199 dress


While I admit my two subsequent versions haven't quite lived up to this one, this one still makes me so happy. My busty, giant-hipped self gets to be the chill girl strolling along in the T-shirt dress and it looks like neither a box nor a nightie! Score. 

Deer&Doe Givre dress


So I feel a bit weaselly about putting this on here because I got it for free, but it's the truth. I would never, ever have bought this pattern, but a) look at me actually looking good in a bodycon dress and b) by some small miracle, this is my perfect shoulder fit. Once I'd made this I realised why I didn't like most of my tops. I'm planning to make myself a knit top block next year, and I'm just going to steal the neck and shoulder from this one wholesale because I cannot improve upon it. I'm not saying I would recommend buying this pattern unless you're specifically looking for a knit bodycon dress with some actual shaping in it, but I am thrilled that I have it. 

Sewaholic Minoru


Biggest accomplishment of the year. I MADE this. I still can't quite believe it. This is gorgeous, practical, unique, and beyond the occasional wonky stitch I cannot find ANY part of the construction I'm displeased with. This is still a huge rarity for me because I tend to rush my finishing, but not here. This is as close to perfect as I'm likely to get any time soon, and I'm over the moon with it. Also this is one of the most thoughtful patterns I've ever had the pleasure of working with and it's almost a shame I don't need another three of four anoraks. 

By Hand London Anna


I mean, I've not had the opportunity to wear this once yet, but look at it! 

Kommatia Patterns J005 bomber jacket


So this is an odd one, because it's basically the least popular thing I've posted either here or on Instagram since I started getting more than seven hits per post, but I love both my versions, and in real life everyone else does too. They're some of my best work and have prompted several "you made that? No way" conversations, including with my own actual live-in boyfriend. I love the hell out of them even if the internet doesn't.

Up on Monday: failures and bitching! Everyone's favourite!

6 comments:

  1. You’ve made some real stunners here! My favourites are the Named knit dresses - they really suit your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would live in those Named dresses if I could.

      Delete
  2. I am so with you on the Minoru. That pattern plus instructions results in such an amazingly professional garment. And yours is perfect!

    I especially love that Vogue dress and the Lupin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so gutted that Tasia sold Sewaholic, she was working on a different level to most other pattern designers.

      Delete
  3. You've had some real wins here. You look great in all of them. I love the Olivia dress on you and the Vogue stripe... I've always loved a Minoru too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Minoru is just the best.

      Delete