Thursday 3 December 2015

Jen attempts to develop style: finished projects review

Following on from the "pictures of things I've worn and liked" post, I thought I'd try a "quick and dirty evaluation of things I've made" post. Here is everything I've ever made and posted (up until the writing of this post), reviewed in one sentence or less, divided into three categories by frequency of wear.

Things I wear a lot:


(Probably the least 'me' thing I've made, but if I keep everything else simple and dark I'm comfortable enough to get a lot of wear out of it)


(Super useful pullover summer dress)


(I mean, I don't wear these three a lot right now, but it's December in London and common sense is still a thing)


(I'm surprised how useful this one has been)


(Love it, but might remake it - some of the construction bothers me)


(Again, surprising, given occasionally indecent stretchiness. Apparently that doesn't bother me as much as I thought)


(Love this and wish I had more of this jersey)


(Best skirt shape)


(BEST SKIRT)


(Really great dress, will make more, but need to be aware that I won't like it as much if I make it in a neutral colour)


(I need to get over my fear and make another pair of trousers)


Things I wear occasionally:


(It's a bit big and it's not very well finished, but it's still purple and swishy)


(This annoys me because I really like it, but there's a disconnect between style and fabric; it's a basic cotton cushion fabric so it doesn't feel fancy, but when I wear it as a regular dress people ask me what I'm all dressed up for)


(This is great, but because it's SO high-waisted it doesn't go with that many things)


(Turns out this isn't an everyday dress. Also I want to buy myself a softbox)


Things I hardly ever wear/have never worn:


(I think this needs some fixing. I often go to put it on and take it off again because it's just too baggy in the shoulders)


(This photographs so well but it goes with literally nothing else I own)


(This wasn't the right fabric for this top)


(Too short and too itchy)


(Zip needs fixing)


(Zip needs fixing)


(I've had this for about two weeks and so far no suitable occasions have arisen)

Things I can learn from this:

1. I need to work on my zip insertion
2. My success rate is higher than I think it is
3. Having put them all in a list, my makes aren't as schizophrenic as I thought they would be
4. I need a defined purpose and pairing for everything I make
5. The biggest reason for my not wearing something is poor fabric choice
6. I wear prints more than I think I do, but since I hardly ever mix them I need an equal amount of neutral things
7. FIX YOUR MAKES, JEN
8. Very bright + very dark = happy Jen

It is now time to work out exactly what I'm going to do with all this information I've acquired. Slapdash analysis time!

No comments:

Post a Comment