Monday 18 April 2016

OCMPP part three: Tulip Skirt

I had two tulip skirts on my To Make list, and this is neither of them. My mother bought me some cool floral stretch denim, so of course it had to become one of these skirts as well. And I made it before my planned ones because... well, the fabric was a present, and it would be rude to leave it just sitting there.


Sassy!

I had a vision of bright pink pockets, bright pink zip and bright pink topstitching, but I had to forgo the zip because I couldn't find one in the right shade of pink. The zip is now white, but that's also fine because:


Pink and white spotty pockets! (These photos don't really show the bright pink topstitching, but trust me, it is there.)



I really like having one of these in denim. It doesn't crease as embarrassingly quickly as my previous two. I also really like it with this top, and I have visions of my future wardrobe being entirely composed of tulip skirts and cropped jumpers to mix and match at will. That would take a lot of the work out of getting dressed. 


Amber Moon made her triumphant public debut a week ago and it was awesome. You'll be hearing all about it in a couple of weeks.

I did manage to make one of the ones I said I would as well, because I keep my promises, dammit. The fifth skirt is cut out as well, but I have STORIES about that one so it'll have to wait. 


Before we go any further, the radical difference in the quality of my hair is due to a fancy pre-shampoo product I got given. I'm torn between feeling delighted that there is a product out there that can begin to control my perpetually misbehaving hair and annoyed that now I'm going to have to buy a stupid expensive hair product for the rest of forever. Sigh. 

This is my simplest tulip skirt. It's a mustard cotton twill with a little arrow print, and I got the skirt out of a metre of fabric, which I'm quite pleased about. I left the pockets out, mostly because I forgot about them. I may come to regret this. 


I used a triple stitch to do navy topstitching on the hem, which hasn't quite come out the way I pictured it, but eh. Never mind. I don't spend a lot of time looking at my own hems so it's unlikely to bother me much. I put in a navy concealed zip too. 



This was the outfit I wanted and I really like it. I feel like the mustard and navy combination is one that my wardrobe was seriously missing. Initially I wanted a plain mustard skirt but I've come around on this print; it adds interest to the skirt without being distracting. I will get a lot of wear out of this, as I will with all the other tulip skirts both current and future. Yes, future. You're going to get really bored.

We will end on what I like to call "the confused flamingo":


(Once I was dancing with someone at a social and he spent the whole dance giving me "feedback" and corrections and explaining what I should be doing. On the last beat of the song I did exactly as you see in this picture. "What's that?" he asked. "I'm a confused flamingo," I told him. He backed away and I never had to dance with him again. The confused flamingo has its uses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment