Thursday 14 April 2016

Creative Sewing: cropped sweater

Hello and welcome to my first weak-ass attempt at a pattern hack!


I knew I wanted more cropped jumpers. Almost everything I make ends up being high-waisted, and most of the tops I own were bought to go with jeans, so I have a wardrobe mismatch. I spent a little while looking at long-sleeved cropped jumper patterns before I realised that I already made the cropped sweater from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual before and it fitted reasonably well, so all I'd have to do is draft some new sleeves. It couldn't be that hard, right?



...holy crap, this skirt is wrinkled. I swear it never looks like this in real life. Apparently I have a special wrinkle-enhancing camera.

This is the leftover fabric from my spotty Tiramisu. I say leftover, I specifically bought more fabric than I thought I'd need so that I could have both a dress and a jumper made from this stuff. It is so soft and lovely and comforting, and I wish more jersey fabric was like this. Most of the stuff I see is either really lightweight or heavier ponte, and I crave that bit in between that I can never find.


To draft a new sleeve, I more or less Frankensteined together the sleeve head of the current piece and the long sleeve from the Sew Over It cowl neck top. It was not at all scientific and I didn't actually draft a new pattern piece, I just laid one over the other and cut it out. Now that this particular experiment has been a success I probably will go back and draft one - I'm much more likely to make and wear versions of this top with the long sleeve than the shorter one and doing the weird Frankensteining every time is going to get tedious.


This is my "please don't start raining yet" face. 

The book uses ribbed bands to finish both the sleeves and the waist, but I only had black ribbing lying around and I didn't want that look for this jumper, so I just hemmed the sleeves with my twin needle in the usual way and used the main fabric to make a band for the waist and it seems to be fine. It's probably what I'll do for future versions unless I really want the contrast look.

This is a definite success and I wear it all the time, particularly with my various tulip skirts (as you will see on Monday). As soon as I find more of the right kind of jersey, I will be making more of these. The longer sleeve was really easy to do and I now feel quite comfortable altering the length of any given sleeve. Drafting a sleeve for something that's sleeveless would definitely take more work, but one step at a time. I'm slowly building up to more impressive things, I promise.

And to finish off, please enjoy this picture of me being absolutely terrifying.


Creative! (I don't know why he puts up with me)

No comments:

Post a Comment