Monday 25 April 2016

OCMPP part four: bodice block

Check me out, getting all my projects posted within the two months again!

I bought the Sew Over It Vintage book on the pretext that I was going to make the pouffe as a Christmas present, which I then did not do (I was already making pyjamas, aprons, make up bags and stockings, and it seemed like a bit much). So the book has been sitting on my sewing table, and I keep picking it up and thinking that several of the things - 1920s top and dressing gown in particular - would be cool things to make and I should get on that. Which I have so far not done. In order to make anything else in the book, you need to draft a bodice block. Take four measurements, draw a few lines on a piece of paper, cut it out, make a toile. It seemed easy enough, though apparently not easy enough for me to try it several months ago when I first thought about it. Anyway.

My first attempt looked like this:


Yeeeaaah. The instructions tell you to measure from collarbone to waist to get the length. So I did that, without it occurring to me that measuring down the middle of my body fails to take two fairly substantial things into account. I sort of wish I was the kind of person who wore tops like this, but I am not. So I added five inches or so to my block and had another go.


Better. This is a perfectly serviceable top. I might even finish all the edges and wear it if I can decide what it would go with (my wardrobe doesn't have a lot of items that would match a loose drapey T-shirt).

The book says that the block isn't meant to be tight fitting, and it's not kidding. This is actually smaller than it's meant to be - the block as drafted doesn't include seam allowance, but I forgot that both times so had to make the top smaller in order to sew it together, and it's still pretty damn roomy. I'm a tad concerned about other patterns in the book that instruct you to make the block bigger for a looser fit. This is already the loosest thing that's existed in my wardrobe for years. However, I really want that 1920s top, so that's going to be the next one I attempt (I don't know when, but it's next).

Overall, a success, providing we ignore this bit:



Ladies with boobs: MAKE YOUR TOPS LONGER. This has been my PSA for the month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment