I'd had a metre of this Liberty stuff sitting in my cupboard waiting for me to make a top out of it, and I thought I'd make something similar to the black and white in the last stashbust, except with a slightly narrower neckline and longer sleeves. That is not what that is, and I'm not entirely sure why. I think I misremembered what I did for the last one. When I cut it out I cropped it at what I thought was the same point I cropped it last time, only to end up with something that barely covered my boobs. I put an extra-wide hem band on to compensate, then decided to finish the neck and sleeves with bands as well since I was already doing that. I also made the hem band a bit too big, so I'll be taking that in a bit during my next alterations blitz.
The problem with this top is that it goes with precisely nothing. I'd had a couple of skirts in mind, and nope, neither of them work. I really do want to wear this top but I'm a bit stumped as to what colours it might go with. If anyone has any recommendations, please pass them on; I'd like to work it into my next fabric purchase.
I debated back and forth whether or not to give this next one its own post. It's not stashbusting because I bought the fabric the same day I made it, and since it's a material I'd never worked with before I would ordinarily default to "stand-alone post." But I can't really justify that, because there's absolutely nothing to it.
This is a T-shirt. It's more or less the same as my bodice block top from April, except I've changed the neckline, lengthened the sleeves a bit, taken it in at the sides and introduced a bit of shaping at the waist. Not enough to make much visible difference, because this thing is still pretty large. I was a bit limited in terms of length, so this only really works tucked into something high-waisted, but I can and have got plenty of wear out of it that way. The fabric is a remnant of felton silk I bought on impulse at Sew Over It, and it was a nice low-pressure way of working with silk for the first time. I don't have too much to say on that front either; it was really nice to work with and didn't misbehave nearly as much as I thought it would, but it frays like gangbusters. It didn't occur to me to French seam it, but that's what I'll be doing to any and all future light silk garments.
I've got a fair amount of wear out of this already. Yay silk T-shirts!
This is my first mini tulip skirt, and I really like it. The fabric is a moss crepe, another piece from my friend Micky. There was only about half a metre of it, so I could only get a miniskirt out of it and there wasn't enough for a matching waistband, but I LOVE this colour and I actually really like this length (though for subsequent minis I'll probably cut it slightly longer so I can have a wider hem). The one thing I don't like about this skirt is that the waistband is somehow too big at the top. Can you put darts in a waistband? Is that weird?
(Also, having learned about neutral patterned tops + bright bottoms from Me Made May, I have enthusiastically adopted that as a thing.)
My stash is still much bigger than I'd like one month before moving day. so I'm planning another round of quick makes in the next few weeks. I'm going to end up getting rid of more stuff than I'd like, I suspect, but I don't want to encourage this stash-full-of-bits attitude in myself. Hanging onto tons of fabric isn't the right thing for me, and in future I'd like to have no more than a shelf of stuff at any one time (apart from anything else, I'm going to be sharing space now and I don't want to upset my boyfriend with massive fabric stashes slowly encroaching on the rest of the flat and multiplying like Tribbles). So I'll be doing that as well as my July/August projects, which I'll post about on Monday. Hooray for more things!