Monday 2 May 2016

Stashbusting Spring/Summer Haberdashery Haul (SSSHH)

So I made a lot in March and April. Like, a LOT. Over a dozen things, some of which you have seen and some of which you have not. That's kind of insane, and yet I don't know if I can promise that things will be different in May and June. I'm suddenly very aware of how much I have to get through, as we will see.

Also, yes, I know the title makes no sense, but I really wanted to call it SSSHH. Remember when I said not to get used to the acronyms being almost-words? Forget that. All of the acronyms will now be words or almost-words, but the expanded titles will cease to mean anything.

Since only one of these patterns has a physical cover that I can photograph, I'm just going to dispense with that entirely and give you a Simpsons gif with every project plan because we all like those and I'm not interested in hearing any contradictory opinions.


Here we go!

1. Wool jersey kimono jacket

My first project is - gasp - for someone else. My grandmother has always appreciated homemade gifts much more than bought ones, to the extent that my brother and I have just made her biscuits and marzipan fruit for every Christmas and birthday for the last twenty years (seriously, I cannot draw, paint, sculpt. or anything else that might be called artistic, but my marzipan fruits are now untouchable). On her last birthday I broke with tradition and made her a cushion, because new skill, and I'd like to employ that skill again. She's turning 95 this year, and she's decided to make a bit of a thing out of it, so I want to make something a bit more special than "another cushion". I'm going to make her a Sew Over It jersey kimono jacket out of this lovely dark rose wool jersey, which seems like it would be of use to her wardrobe.

2. A wedding guest dress

My partner's sister is getting married in June and I want to make my dress. I want something that feels special but also isn't going to feel like a chore to wear. It's almost certainly going to be an Anna bodice, but I haven't decided whether to make a straight midi-length Anna or try a different skirt. I want it to be a good colour and have some amazing rainbow viscose challis, though I may decide that's a bit much for an early summer wedding in north Wales. Decisions!

3. Sew Over It Doris dress

New pattern! I bought this the day it came out, because it seems like the perfect thing for just throwing on and still looking put together - not overly fitted but still shape-defining, simple bodice with a couple of nice details, skirt with some volume but no bulk at the waist. I'm going to modify it slightly because I have no interest in a button-up bodice (or a button-up anything), and if this version works I'm hoping to figure out how to add sleeves. It's going to be made from aqua feather-print rayon, unless I decide I need that for the dress above...

4. Some stashbusting

Rather than try to pick a fourth pattern (which I could definitely do), I want to make the goal for this one slightly different - to use up some of the metre-length pieces of fabric sitting in my stash. I'll be moving during my next pattern haul (eek!) so I'd like to start using things up now. I have a few ideas as to what they could become, but I'm going to let Me Made May show me what I actually need instead of assigning fabric to pattern randomly in advance. I will, however, commit to making at least one top and one skirt.

Also in this two-month period, I want to:

a) actually get rid of some of my homemade stuff (i.e. out of my house and not just loitering in a bag)
b) get rid of the patterns I'll never make, or never make again
c) work out how to store my printed PDFs, which don't like being folded up

The Have Less Stuff By August mission continues apace, by which I mean hasn't got very far at all and I really need to get a move on. Adulting!

No comments:

Post a Comment