Monday 30 May 2016

SSSHH part two: May Stashbusting

I made two tops and a skirt from my metre-or-less pieces of fabric in May. I'm going to do a separate post for June to encourage me to get through some more of it.

First up we have yet another cropped sweater:


This fabric was given to me by my wonderful and generous friend Micky, who let me raid his stash just before he moved house. I picked up about a dozen things (possibly ill-advised given current drive to get volumes down), and this is the first one I've used. It's a sheeny baby-rib jersey and it is a pain in the mothereffing arse to work with. This incredibly basic top took me over a week to finish because it was so frustrating, and even then I still have a weird-ass neckline to show for it. It's annoying, but it won't stop me wearing it, I don't think. 

And here are the other two pieces:


Yes, it's another tulip skirt. These aren't going to have their own posts anymore because I'm still making them at a rate of one a month, so I'll just chuck them into posts like this when the opportunity arises. This one is made out of crepe, and was without a doubt the easiest one to make. It's also maybe my favourite; it looks good, it's really easy to pull into various vintage-y but still quite different outfits, and because it's crepe it doesn't wrinkle. More crepe!


Pockets! Fancy Liberty pockets, at that - I bought this fabric to make a make-up bag for my mother and didn't want the scraps to go to waste. 


LOOK AT HOW MUCH YOU CAN'T SEE THE POCKETS. I always struggle with sticky-out pockets so I'm really pleased that I managed to do it well this time. I also haven't pressed my machined blind hem yet because eh. I will do it before I wear it outside. 

The top is a mash-up of a couple of patterns. I wanted to make the boat neck top from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual, but since this is Liberty jersey (oh yeah, I'm all Liberty all the time in these photos) I used up another scrap of my stash to make a toile, and I'm glad I did. The boatneck was far too boaty and basically fell off both my shoulders at once. So this one is a mash-up of the boat neck and the cropped sweater.


I was trying to still keep a bit of the boatiness, but that wasn't a great idea because Gertie patterns seem to be drafted for people with a LOT more shoulder than me. So there's an annoying bra strap thing I could do without. I have another piece of Liberty jersey with which I plan to make a similar top, and I'll bring the neckline in a bit on that one. 


Poser. 

No comments:

Post a Comment