Monday 20 June 2022

spring sewing: that modified Fumeterre again

So I lied last week when I said this would be a trousers post. I do have a trousers post waiting but I've decided to get all of my spring projects posted first (I know my spring plan was much shorter than usual but I'm not sure I've ever fully completed one before, and I'm trying to celebrate my productivity and new-found ability to make my brain do stuff). This one is number four of five, and finally, finally, I have used all of that damn blue linen. 

I think this was a much better way to use it all than one giant maxi dress. I can't imagine when or how I would have worn it. Though the last time I went to Walthamstow he still had some of this in stock and there was a horrible part of me that wanted to buy another metre to make a matching crop top. I know it's a bad idea because either it would have to be big and boxy or have a zip in it and I doubt I'd like either of those things, but the vision persists. 

Construction was the same as last time. When I put this project on my spring plan I said I'd need to change up the waistband because my yellow one was too tight to eat dinner in, but that is not at all the case anymore. In fact the other version of this (as yet unphotographed) which I mentioned at the time as looking worse but being much more comfortable is totally unwearable now. It's currently waiting for me to take the waistband off and cut several inches off it. 

(I wrote the above paragraph over a month ago, and as things stand now I actually need to take in every single one of my maxi skirts, including this one and the yellow one. That's going to be a very boring and annoying day, and I'm trying to work out the best way to bribe myself to do it that isn't another fabric shopping trip already.)




Having shown you the pictures I honestly don't have much else to say about this one - I've talked about this exact mish-mash of patterns and this exact fabric recently, and combining the two didn't really give me anything to add. I like to give the projects from my seasonal plans their own respective posts (just in case I ever decide to go in and link all the finished posts in the original plans for ease of reference, like I keep telling myself I'm going to do), but this one probably didn't need it. I do think I might be able to get some interesting colour combinations going when I wear this skirt, since it's a slightly unusual shade of blue but still basically a neutral. 


It's been a pretty heavy week. My GP is being actively negligent as regards my meds (a doctor at the practice who has never met me and has not spoken to me once through any of this is putting all sorts of vague obstructions in the way that I then have to actively chase up, while emails and letters mysteriously go missing and I have to walk physical copies into their office) and my aunt, who has been in and out of remission for years, finally passed away on Friday night. So I'm not at my shiniest. But I have been sewing, and one of my summer projects is almost finished. I also got distracted and cut out a bunch of extremely unseasonal remnant-busting random shit, so look forward to surprise posts of things I won't be able to wear for months!

Up next: my final spring project! The dress I made for the wedding, plus a bonus sort-of toile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment