Tuesday 18 June 2019

swanky loungewear: a second Asaka robe

When I was struggling to start sewing again last month, I put my plans to one side to make a few simple, fun things. This was one of them:


I've been trying to put together a coherent loungewear wardrobe for a while, and you can consider this the first instalment of a vague series. I think it's something you either care about or you don't - a lot of people have no idea why you'd bother spending time and money on something you'll never wear outside, and I entirely understand that. I just enjoy being unnecessarily fancy at all times. On my list is a few different pyjama sets, a couple of outfits that are mostly pyjamas but I could also wear to take the bins out (we have a super weird rubbish collection set up so taking the bins out requires walking much further away from our flat than I would be prepared to do in pyjamas. Basically my rule is that if I have to cross a road I need to have something resembling actual clothes on), and a summer robe. Which is what this is. 


I made an Asaka once before (when the pattern was still called a "kimono") and though I love it, the fabric isn't as breathable as I would like. It's fine for the autumn, but on hot days I just die in it instantly. When I decided to make a second one I went out looking for pretty much this exact fabric - black background, leaf print viscose - and found it in one of the shops at Walthamstow. I bought four and a half metres, and sort of expected to have more fabric left over than I did. Based on how much fabric I used last time I was planning a cami and shorts set to go under it and possibly a slip dress as well, but looking at my offcuts it'll be a pair of shorts at most. 


Last time I lengthened the robe substantially, this time I didn't. I was initially planning to bring it to knee-length, but in the end I wasn't a fan of the way that looked. I did scoop it down a bit lower at the back to keep some kind of barrier between my bare legs and our leather sofa. I also lengthened the belt so that it wraps as many times as I want it to. 


Construction was exactly the same as last time - I French seamed the whole thing so it's lovely and clean on the insides. It's an incredibly easy project once you get the whole "French seam into two hems" thing on the sleeves figured out, and this fabric is MUCH easier to press than the last lot. However, the interfacing I used was way worse. I ordered interfacing from some site once upon a time and ended up with twice as much as I bought (the original order went missing, they replaced it, and then six months later the first one showed up, slightly scarred from its many travels), and it's horrific. It's such a loose weave that the glue always ends up stuck to the iron, meaning there's barely any left to adhere to the actual fabric. GAH. I'm trying to use it up in places where it won't matter as much and I will be so glad when it's all gone. 



In terms of appearance, my first Asaka looks better than this one. The length, the weight of the fabric, and the style and saturation of the print were all perfect, whereas this one is more of a "does the job" sort of thing. But that's OK. What I need for the next few months is a shorter, more breathable robe that will let me exist fairly comfortably in our stupid greenhouse of a living room, and this will absolutely do that. I will also get round to a pair of matching shorts and a black jersey T-shirt or vest top within the next month; it's just occurred to me as I'm writing this that a decent chunk of our holiday is going to be spent in a shared AirBnB with Patrick's family and thus I am actually going to need some warm weather sleepwear pretty sharpish.

I wouldn't rule out making a third one of these, but it would definitely only be a "this fabric DEMANDS it" sort of thing and I won't be actively seeking it out. Three exaggerated-sleeve dressing gowns is a tad excessive when you live in a one-bedroom flat, unless maybe I made one for Patrick in place of the velvet smoking jacket we agreed on ages ago but have been unable to find a decent pattern for. Fair substitute? 


I'm delaying the leggings post until I make the matching top and can go full galaxy nightmare on you, so next up will be my bright green Esther trousers. I had a completely different experience with the pattern this time and ended up with a very different-looking pair of trousers, so I'm quite looking forward to sharing!


Asaka robe dress

Fabric: Printed viscose from Walthamstow
Cost: £8
Pattern details: Wrap robe/dress (or, indeed, robe dress) with wide vented two-piece sleeves, flat collar and long tie belt
Size: UK18
Alterations: Back lengthened by 3in, tie belt extended
Would make again/would recommend: Yes/Yes

1 comment: