Monday 12 November 2018

autumn sewing: Simplicity 1613 twist top

I had this one cut out for nearly two months before I actually persuaded myself to sew it up, because I just did not want to do it. But finally, I got it done!


(We're back in the stairwell for these photos, because it's November and it's too cold to go outside without a coat on.)

Last time I made this top I remember being super frustrated by the instructions, to the point that I was delving super deep into Youtube for "fourteen views and one solitary like" videos of someone making this top while filming themselves on their phone. And because it was a year and a half ago, I couldn't remember how it was actually done. And also I'd lost both the band facing piece and the sleeve piece. And now the pattern is out of print. So we're off to an excellent start here.


I remembered enough about how it was supposed to look not to have the main problem I had last time (general bafflement over wtf was going on and not enough information in the instructions to help me power through it), but the bit where I had to attach the band to the front panel and then to the front facing still confused me and I did it wrong. Unpicking a stretch stitch sewn in black thread into black jersey is not fun and I do not recommend it. I made more than one accidental hole in the fabric that had to be patched up, and that's not the nicest thing in the world either. I ended up getting it right almost by accident, and I have no idea if I'd be able to recreate it again on purpose. The end result is still a little bit wonky as the neckband hasn't been incorporated far enough into the seam on one side, but if you think I'm doing any more horrendous unpicking to tidy it up, then you must be new around here.



Because I didn't have the sleeve piece I altered all the armscyes to the one from the Deer&Doe Givre top, which fits my shoulders perfectly, and used that sleeve. I was convinced it wasn't going to work but it's actually completely fine. Part of me wonders if I should have extended the sleeves to full length, but I'm not actually sure I had enough fabric to do that. Since it's a slightly fancier top I think it should be fine.


This is a much more successful version than my previous one (though the whole detail bit looked better last time). This jersey is much stretchier and has better recovery so it fits in a way I much prefer, and also will actually go with other clothes I own. And as a handy bonus, because the facings come about halfway down the torso it's much warmer than a standard light sweater knit top. I bought several metres of this fabric last year intending to turn it into a winter Kielo, but instead I've just gradually cut bits off to make black jersey tops in slightly different styles. It's all gone now and I have three successful tops, so the black jersey top portion of my wardrobe is now very much full. The Simplicity 1613 portion of my wardrobe... is also probably full, let's be real. Though I've been suddenly possessed by stupider ideas before, so who knows.

Up next: dressing gown time! And I have much to say about it...


Sassy side-eye! 

3 comments:

  1. wow I love this, I overlooked that pattern but now I want it :) looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this too! I have it and have never made it because I just assumed it wouldn't work well with a fuller bust. May have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The twist detail is all above bust so doesn't interfere too much, but after a couple of wears I've discovered that the length of the facing is a bit awkward for me. If I made this again I'd add a few inches to it so it sat under my bust rather than on top of it!

      Delete