Monday 2 July 2018

summer sewing: Asaka kimono

July is here, and so is the first project from my summer plan!


(Please excuse my weird glowing photos. I've been trying to get them done for over a week and I never wake up early enough to avoid the glaring sun. What is going on?? This is a goddamn weird actual summerlike summer we're having here.)

I made this one first because it was the one I was most excited about. The Asaka kimono was the first Named pattern I ever wanted to buy, but I was suffering from a weird kind of sewing imposter syndrome at the time (along the lines of "everything you make is bad, even you think so but you force yourself to wear this shit anyway so you can keep deluding yourself") so I talked myself out of it. Totally impractical, I said. You'll never wear it, I said.


When I found this fabric (an Italian crepe-type from my perennial favourite, Fabric Store in Walthamstow) I immediately had visions of the Phryne Fisher loungewear I used to promise myself I'd make but then never did, and realised that the Asaka really isn't that impractical. Since I'd be wearing it as a dressing gown most practicality concerns don't apply, and there's not much I could make that would get more wear than a fancy black floral robe. It may be the height of summer but still nobody is going to persuade me that what I want is a light floral.



Look at these sleeves! They're actually much less of a pain to wear than you'd think - since the vent sits above the elbow, when you bend your arm the material just quietly drapes out of the way. I'm not saying I'd make pancakes in them, but for general day-to-day activities they're pretty well-behaved. 

Named no longer sells the paper pattern for this design and I couldn't be bothered to track it down even though I know I could have, so I bought the PDF. Thankfully this one wasn't an overlapping layout like some of the Named PDFs I've bought before. I understand tracing paper patterns (even though I don't tend to do it myself) but I cannot fathom why anyone would create a PDF that you had to trace. I've found a couple of old reviews mentioning that the pattern only gives you two sizes nested together, and that's not the case anymore; this one has been updated to match their current releases and all sizes are nested into one. The seam allowance is still 1cm, so I added a tiny bit extra to allow me to do French seams the way I'm already comfortable with.


The insides are all French-seamed, including the seam that splits into the sleeve vent. That took me a while to work out (and tutorials aren't plentiful, though there are approximately one shitbillion telling me how to sew a straight French seam), but it turned out to be a fairly simple "clip into the seam allowance and tuck under" job. I also lengthened the whole thing by about 10 inches, and I'm glad I did. I'm not normally one for this kind of length, but for loungewear it's perfect. It gives me both coverage and swank factor without creating any kind of tripping risk. After experimenting with the tie belt I decided to double the length, using four pieces instead of two, which lets me wrap it twice round and tie a big long bow at the front. Overall it's a pretty simple project which took me about a day start to finish, with no major difficulties beyond trying to press this fabric, which was so bouncy I probably could have hosted a four-year-old's birthday party on it. I've forgiven it, though, because damn it is pretty. 


This is one of my favourite things I've made in a while. I'm not sure if I'll make it again - there's a fairly limited amount of space in my wardrobe for kimonos, especially given that I still want to make a proper version of the Victory Patterns Trina - but if the right fabric came along I don't think I'd protest very hard. I've tried several times to make a dressing gown for myself and each one has been a colossal failure, so this feels like an achievement that's been a long time coming. I shall bask in this feeling until it gets cold and I decide I need a winter dressing gown as well. 


Next up: an incredibly uncharacteristic pink dress! 

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeousness. Very Phryne Fisher, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "because damn it is pretty."

    Such an understatement! This is so beautiful! And styled with the heels in your pics makes me think it doesn't have to live its whole life as "just" a dressing gown.

    Your sewing skills are really coming along nicely! (While mine are in danger of atrophying from lack of use.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd have to modify it a fair bit to wear it outside! Wearing it around the house with heels isn't out of the question, though...

      That's a lovely compliment coming from you! I think I'm at that point where I'm good enough to be REALLY aware of everything I'm not doing well, and it's probably an uphill few years from here to "actually pretty professional". I hope your sewjo returns to you soon!

      Delete
  3. It. Is. PERFECTION! I love every single thing about it - the length and fit, the fabric drape, the fabric print...it was really a perfect pairing of fabric and pattern and I hope you enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once we get out from under this heatwave I'll be swanning about in it every day!

      Delete
  4. Not only is this make GREAT, and now I wanna make one for my best friend's birthday, but also you have introduced me to my new favourite word: shitbillion. I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I stole it from someone on Youtube, but it hasn't spread as far as it should yet!

      Delete
  5. That is very glamorous- real movie star stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this gorgeousness. Honestly you could name this your favourite wrap dress with fancy sleeves and no one would be any wiser. I love it all.

    ReplyDelete