Thursday 25 May 2017

sewing plans: summer 2017

My last seasonal plan didn't work very well, so I'm going to try to be a little more realistic with this one. These are, for the most part, things I have the fabrics and patterns for and have been thinking about making for a while. I will make more than this, obviously, but everything else will depend on finding the right fabric and being able to pair it with a pattern. Right now I only want to commit to things I know I can do. Otherwise I'd be planning this:


(I love Violet Chachki.)

1. Birthday presents

My mother has a significant birthday in August, and she wants me to make her two dresses. For the first one, she's given me some fabric (a beige geometric cotton lawn) and asked for an unfussy summer shift dress. I know literally nothing about shift dress patterns, so it's going to take some experimenting. Can anyone recommend a shift dress for a curvy woman?

Mum also wants a Kielo after trying mine on. I've agreed to make both dresses under the proviso that I get to pick the colour for the Kielo. When she picks fabric she tends to default to grey and beige, and I want to put her in burnt orange or olive green, both of which look amazing on her. 

2. A grey marl T-shirt style maxi dress

My priority project for myself this summer is to recreate a dress I saw a woman wearing on the Tube about six years ago. I spent years looking for something similar in the shops, and it just occurred to me that I can make it myself now. It was a super simple dress with no tricky bits, so I'm going to try making the Concord into a maxi dress with a gathered skirt.

3. A light jacket

During Me Made May I've been wearing the hell out of my Lupin. Dark green goes with more of my things than I'd have thought, but not everything, so I want to make another short jacket (whether another Lupin or a new pattern I'm not sure) in either navy blue or a light minky-mauve colour. Or both, if I have the time and the inclination.

4. A denim dress

I'd like to continue experimenting with patterns and styles that I like the look of but am unsure whether or not they'll suit me. With that in mind, I'm going to try making the Papercut Patterns Yoyo dress, which I've only seen on very thin women so far. I'm expecting to either think it's amazing or hate it with the fire of a thousand suns, so I've set my expectations to low and am prepared to have spent £10 and a few hours on something I don't like in the name of science.

Other things that might happen if I can find the fabric/pattern/fabric and pattern: black or polka dot pedal pushers, orange Flint shorts, a Sew Over It Eve dress, and a Named Anneli dress. Also probably some short-sleeved T-shirts if I do find myself making and wearing shorts all the time. That's actually quite a lot of things. I'm going to stop there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment