Thursday 12 November 2015

happiness is a red skirt

I would like to introduce you to Vogue 7910, my new favourite thing:


I bought this pattern a few months ago. I was after something quite different, but the reviews of the one I wanted were middling and the reviews of this one were all FIVE STARS BEST SKIRT EVER MAKE THIS SKIRT EVERYBODY, so I bought it. Then it turned up on my doorstep looking all sensible and practical and dull in its neutral colours, and I put it away, wondering what on earth possessed me to buy a work skirt pattern when I wasn't at work and was trying not to think about work as a concept. 

Then I happened upon it again when trying to break a weeks-long sewing block. I had some inexpensive drapey red cotton I could experiment with, why not? 



(Two different settings, because I'm crazy and unpredictable in an incredibly restrained way.)

I made view A, an eight-panelled gored skirt with a waistband, and it is my new favourite skirt shape. It doesn't add extra volume to the hips, but also it doesn't cling, and it doesn't seem to create static with my tights either. It was really easy and fun to sew, and I will be making many, many more. 


I haven't worn skirts for years because I've just never been able to find one that looks OK on me. They all cling too much, or they have way too much volume, or they do that thing where they jut out from the waistband and sit on top of your hips and make you look square, like a loo roll cover that's also a doll. I've made a bunch of skirts in the last few months and I wear most of them, but this is my favourite in terms of shape and comfort. And I really enjoy red clothes. 


Also it does this, and that pleases me. Let's have some more!


Yay!

I'm planning, possibly ill-advisedly, to try making one of these out of this strange textured neoprene-like material I bought a little while ago. I'm not sure it's going to work, but I don't have the first idea what to do with the stuff so I might as well experiment with it. And if it does work, a neoprene gored skirt should make for some interesting shaping. (That was a bad trip to the fabric shop. I bought four things and have no use for any of them. My new plan is to put them in a pile labelled 'Experimental' and just try making weird shit with them all. I'll let you know how that goes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment