Friday 14 August 2015

Hollyburn!

(I considered calling this "Burn, Hollyburn" because terrible song puns, but since that doesn't actually make any sense I opted against it. Yes, I still remember "Sawrap Dressica Parker". What's your point?)

I wouldn't ordinarily have considered buying the Sewaholic Hollyburn pattern, because it just looks like a bog standard skirt with a shape that could easily be unflattering on me. I would have given it a resounding "meh" and carried on. But in the last week or so I've started lurking around some personal sewing blogs, and people really seem to love this one. Like, really love it. So having very recently written a post about how I was going to make things I'd actually wear, and given how few skirts my wardrobe contains because I hate every skirt that's been sold on the high street in the past six years for some reason, I decided to take a chance on it.



And it's awesome! Isn't it awesome?



This fabric is a cotton drill from my stash. I bought four metres of it ages ago intending to make a dress. When I got it home I realised that a) it was the wrong type of material for a dress, and b) the dress in question actually needed five metres. Five metres? Screw that. I put both pattern and fabric aside and more or less forgot about them until my Hollyburn envelope arrived.

This pattern is amazing. The shape of the skirt is great, the pockets are great, and it was easy to understand and sew up. My only slight problem came when I put in a zip two inches shorter than the one called for, didn't realise, and ended up with no zip in the waistband. But I redid it and all was well. Incidentally, the pattern's directions for inserting a zip are WAY easier than the method I was using and I now feel about eight times more confident in my zip insertion (hence the not crying even a little bit when I had to unpick it).



It's a super useful skirt and I know I'm going to get a lot of wear out of it. I can even dance in it (hence the Hallelujah-ing above. Never trust a skirt you can't Hallelujah in). I'll definitely be making more - I'm interested to see what it looks like in a fabric with more drape and I want to make a black one since I somehow do not own a black skirt. I also have loads of this fabric left, so you'll be seeing it again too, once I find the right pattern to pair it with.


This is my pleased face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment